Volunteering is truly the heart of PTA.
Without volunteers we would not be an effective organization that can continue to advocate for our students not only locally but statewide and nationally.
You are the unsung heroes that give the teachers an extra set of hands when theirs are full, that helps raise funds when extra is needed for student enrichment, that make sure students are getting through the crosswalk safely and sometimes just by you being there helps the kids to know just how important they are.
PTAs no longer need to submit monthly volunteer hours. Volunteers should be submit all hours for any activity performed off campus or after school office hours through the GISD volunteer portal.
SERVICE HOURS GUIDELINES
Volunteer hours can be counted for:
● Committee Meetings (Event/Recognition planning, PTA Board and Association, advisory task forces, school council, Site Based Advisory, training, parent club/booster, telephoning)
● After School/Saturday/and Summer Programs
● Volunteering in the Classroom or at Home to Support Teachers
● Chaperoning (field trips, dances, local/out of town activities)
● Classroom Enrichment (speakers, professions, languages, travel)
● Career/Field Day (must be assisting, not just observing or being with student)
● Community Involvement with students (can drive, clothing collection)
● Fundraising Activity (not handling the money)
● Health (clinic, screenings, fairs)
● Library/Computer Volunteer
● Room Mom
● Preparing Food for School/Teacher Events
● Traffic and Bus Safety
● PTA Officer/Chairman/Committee Duties ● School Office Assistance
● Sporting Events
Volunteer hours cannot be counted for:
● Working / Visiting with your own student (homework, projects, drive time, lunch, etc.)
● Attending classroom parties (unless you are the room parent, or on the committee to coordinate activities)
Volunteer Guidelines for Teachers:
In general teachers are volunteering their time if they attend school functions or work on school projects that are not required of them.
At this time, building access for parents/guardians/other adults is limited for exceptional circumstances and by appointment only. We have adapted our volunteer handbook and procedures to facilitate virtual/remote volunteer engagement. We are also increasing our use of the Raptor Volunteer Management System and the Raptor Volunteer Portal.
Please note that the GISD volunteer guidelines apply to all volunteers whether a physical or virtual activity.
Raptor Volunteer Management training Recording to ensure all campuses are aware of the new volunteer procedures.
The training will cover the following topics:
· Creating events in Raptor
· Managing volunteers in Raptor
GISD Family and Community Engagement believes our PTAs have an important role in educating our families about the GISD volunteer application and the Raptor Volunteer Portal and would like to extend the invitation to you. Only GISD staff will have access to confidential information in Raptor.
END OF THE YEAR RECOGNITION
Every year we like to recognize all the great work that takes place at the local level. The Volunteer of the Year is awarded to someone that has gone above and beyond.
This year we will also be awarding a Family Engagement Program of the Year.
The forms below should be completed and submitted by _________ to have your nominee considered.
OUTSTANDING INDIVIDUAL VOLUNTEER of the YEAR AWARD:
OUTSTANDING VOLUNTEER PROGRAM of the YEAR AWARD:
FAMILY ENGAGEMENT PROGRAM AWARD: